The Love Stone
Uses: Helps with developing self love and improving relationships
Chakra: Heart Chakra
Origin: Brazil, India and Madagascar
Rose quartz, also known as pink quartz, is a potent tool used to improve the relationship you have with yourself and others. As it’s associated with the heart chakra, the healing stone has been used to help with nurturing emotional wounds back into health and fostering self-love. In this respect, it’s a more specialized stone than the other crystals. Rose quartz is also commonly drawn on to help with processing grief and other emotional hardships. Whenever it comes to an issue with the heart, the pink stone is always there to lend a helping hand.
What is rose quartz?
Rose quartz is a variety of quartz which contains inclusions of the mineral dumortierite. It’s quite common in the earth crust and is usually found in massive formations. Specimens which are translucent with a more vibrant color are more rare and highly priced both in the gemological and healing communities. Its unique and rich color has made it a staple in some of history’s most famous jewels and treasures. Throughout the centuries it’s also been used in elaborate carvings and sculptures.
Rose quartz crystal: Meaning and Properties - When and How Rose Quartz Can Help.
You’re consistently hard on yourself
Self-criticism and awareness can be a healthy and essential tool for self improvement but it can quickly become an excessive and chronic habit loop which gets in the way of objectively viewing your world and circumstances. Over time this can chip away at your self esteem and leave you feeling insecure and consistently anxious. One of the primary properties of rose quartz is its ability to build confidence through illuminating your strengths and capabilities while putting your perceived faults into context. With practice and consistent use, this often leads to an unclouded view of yourself which is significantly more constructive and healthier in the long run.
In order to foster open, trusting and healthy relationships with others, it’s important to make sure that your heart is primed with compassion and that your emotions are in check. It comes as no surprise that many of the conflicts we have with others stem from within. This can be dealt with by facing your own demons, insecurities and problems first. Of course, relationships of all types are a two way street but more often than not we find that working on ourselves and our ability to interact with others in an understanding and empathetic way can lead to better friendships, romantic relationships and family bonds. Using rose quartz in meditations or rituals is an excellent way to manifest both the best in ourselves and others.
After an emotionally traumatic experience
Dealing with emotional trauma or hardship is an experience that we all face throughout life. It comes in countless forms and intensities which often require different approaches to effectively heal. Rose quartz can be an excellent sidekick in this process acting as an emotional cushion to help soften the severity of an experience and help you build strength to work through the situation.
Practical Tips on How to Use Your Rose Quartz (Rituals, Meditation & Home)
Ritual for Protection
As outlined earlier in this article, It’s always recommended to begin using rose quartz for self-love first before moving on to your relationships with others. This ritual will help you bring out positive energy and transmute any negative energy from within.
- Select your rose quartz tool (e.g. raw stone, obelisk, heart, etc.) and bring a piece of paper and something to write with.
- Write down three things that you admire about yourself. Be specific with these. They can relate either to a quality or an achievement. When we’re in a rut, we become blind to things we’ve accomplished and the positive qualities we embody
- While holding your rose quartz, repeat the phrase “I am worthy of love”. While we recommend this mantra, there are countless others you can work with. The key is that the phrase resonates with you and encourages self-acceptance and empowers you to keep building on your foundation.
- You can repeat this ritual however often you’d like. The crucial aspect is to harness the energy of the rose quartz to help propel you. As this ritual is short, it’s an excellent addition to your morning or evening routine.
Meditation for Compassion
- Select one or two pieces of black tourmaline and place them in the palm of your hand(s).
- Close your eyes, and imagine the black color of the stone washing over your body and thoughts.
- Slowly breath inwards and outwards while remaining in this space
- The dark represents clarity and safety in this space. There’s nothing to fear as you’re the light in this dark.
- Allow any worries or troubling thoughts to come and go. As soon as they come, acknowledge them and let them pass by.
- This is a carefree moment. Everything else will be dealt with in due time.
- Remain in this headspace and let your worries and concerns brush by and leave the space.
- When you’ve felt your heartbeat slow and your muscles relax, picture the black color shrinking slowly and eventually setting at the base of the spine. This is the location of the root chakra.
- Slowly open your eyes and remember that at any point you can return to this space (even for a short while) for some time to yourself, free of worry, and stress.
Welcoming a new person (e.g. child, partner) into your life or home
This home application of rose quartz helps prime an environment for new relationships that might develop in that space.
- Choose the space that you’d like to imbue with positive and nurturing energy. This can be a bedroom, a child’s room, or your living room.
- This set-up works best with enough stones for a central crystal altar and a few pieces of rose quartz for all areas leading in and out of the area (e.g. doors, hallways, etc).
- For the altar place, arrange a rose quartz keystone such as an obelisk in the center with five smaller pieces of clear quartz stone surrounding it. The clear quartz will help amplify and direct the energy produced.
- Place a shard of rose quartz at every pathway into or out of the space. This will help channel the stone’s energy into any person entering or leaving the area.
- As this grid will be used often, it's helpful to smudge or cleanse the space with sage every month or so in order to keep the crystals fresh. You can also charge the stones separately as outlined below and rearrange the grid as needed.
How to care for your rose quartz crystal
Charging your rose quartz can be as simple as placing it on a selenite charging plate or leaving it out in the moonlight for several hours. You can also charge the stone by burying it for 24 hours. Make sure to use a cloth bag or other natural covering to ensure dirt does not get into the cracks and crevices of the crystal.
Cleanse your stone with a sacred herb of your choice. This will ensure that any energy that has been transferred from yourself or others to the stone gets cleared out.
Rose quartz is the physical manifestation of love. It’s a close friend showing up when you’ve had a rough week and it’s the voice inside your head cheering you on every day, especially when you’re feeling down. It’s a priceless tool in fostering compassion, acceptance, and warmth. Use this crystal to transform your self image and build lifelong relationships.
Disclaimer: Please consult a healthcare professional for any medical advice. The information in this article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or condition.