Uses: Passion, Courage, Stability, Grounding
Chakra: Throat Chakra & Third Eye Chakra
Origin: Worldwide, Especially Australia, USA, China, India
Birthstone month: January
What is Garnet?
Red Garnet grows in a dodecahedral formation; meaning, the crystals have 12 or 24 sides. Because of its natural resemblance to pomegranate seeds, many people believe Garnet’s name was derived from the Latin word for that particular fruit.
Due to its strength and durability – as well as its dark reddish tone – Garnet has long been associated with love, loyalty, and longevity. Legends about Garnet can be found within many cultures throughout history and the stone itself has been discovered among the ruins of several ancient societies, including the Ancient Greeks, Romans, and Egyptians. In addition, Garnet has held a place within many religious mythologies, including Hindu, Buddhist, and Christian.
For centuries, Garnet has been utilized as a decorative aspect in jewelry, weapons, signet rings, and other societal artifacts. It has also been used as an abrasive for cleaning and polishing. In addition to its popularity as an industrial mineral, today Garnet is a sought after gemstone and healing crystal.
Garnet meaning and properties – when and how Garnet can help:
You're energetically sensitive.
Garnet is a naturally grounding crystal, which makes it perfect for empaths and highly sensitive people. It promotes inner strength and an ability to be present in the moment despite energetic disturbances or outside chaos. Keep a piece of Garnet in your pocket or wear it as an anklet for extra support.
You’re seeking deeper meaning in life.
Garnet connects the heart chakra with the root chakra, giving us the confidence to follow our own unique path and true heart’s desires. It’s a great stone for anyone searching for their life purpose, or for a deeper connection with their inner voice and higher self.
You'd like to attract a partner.
As Garnet promotes loyalty and is also associated with the heart chakra, it is a wonderful crystal for anyone looking to attract a mate or long term partnership. It promotes commitment to oneself as well as ones’ partner; establishing emotionally available and stable love connections. While Garnet is known to inspire passion, it can also temper any out of control passion in the form of anger, which can be helpful in the event of disagreements within our relationships.
Practical Tips on How to Use Garnet (Rituals, Meditation, & Home)
Ritual To Call In Love
2. Create sacred space for yourself. This can be done by cleansing the area around you with a sacred herb of your choice. Take a moment to visualize any stuck energy disappearing from the space around you as you simultaneously visualize 100% pure light and love surrounding you.
3. Affirm, “I release any unnecessary energetic cords of attachment. I release any resentments I may be holding onto and I release myself from any resentments others may be holding towards me.”
4. Visualize golden light enveloping you and cleansing your energetic field of any unhealthy connections, long-held resentments, or any unwanted ties to former relationships. See the light swirling up and around you like a vortex, taking all that you no longer need with it. If you notice negative emotions or upsetting thoughts coming into your awareness, just look upon them with compassion and then send them right up into the golden light to be transmuted into something more positive.
5. Affirm, “I release you to your highest good. I release you to love, with love, as love.”
6. Take a piece of Garnet in your non-dominant hand. Keep it in your hand as you visualize warm pink or red light emanating from the crystal, until it encompasses your whole body. Place your other hand on your heart and say, “I am love. I am loved.“
7. Bring to mind someone in your life that you love, appreciate, and adore. Visualize this being, whether they are a family member, friend, or pet. Place your awareness and your hand on your heart. Notice how you feel about them; what the feeling of love is like. Amplify the emotion if you can. If you notice tears or a feeling of overwhelm, that’s ok. Let yourself feel the full vibration of love around you.
8. Affirm, “I am so grateful for the love I already have and already am. And I invite even more love into my life.”
9. When you’re ready, open your eyes. Recognize your Garnet as a symbol of your intention for love; to not only receive more love but to be more love in the world. Keep it close to you in the coming days and weeks.
Meditation For Grounding:
1. This meditation can be done while sitting or lying down. If you’re seated, make sure your feet are firmly planted on the ground. If you’re lying down, focus on the area where your body connects to the ground.
2. Hold a piece of Garnet similar to this Polygonal Shape in your hand. Close your eyes. Do a quick body scan to see if and where you are holding on to any tension. Take a deep breath and let the breath help you release the physical, emotional, or mental tension.
3. Keep your mental awareness on the piece of Garnet in your hands as you slowly breathe in and out. Feel its weight in your hand. Feel how solid the piece of Garnet is. Establish a connection between you and the crystal. Recognize it as a symbol of groundedness, security, and being rooted to the Earth.
5. Affirm, “I am present. I am secure. I am tethered to the Earth. I am safe.”
How to care for your Garnet
When you bring your Garnet home for the first time, allow it to adjust to your space and its new environment. Rinse it under warm water and clean off any debris it may have picked up using a soft cloth.
For continued care of your Garnet, you can cleanse and charge it regularly. Some ways to do so include: leaving it in the moonlight or sunlight for a few hours, placing it in the Earth overnight, smudging it with a sacred herb of your choice, placing it on a selenite plate, or playing a crystal singing bowl in its presence. Whether you are cleansing or charging your stone, the most important thing is the intention you set as you perform the action.
Disclaimer: Please consult a healthcare professional for any medical advice. The information in this article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or condition.