Nature's Energy Shield
Uses: Protection against harmful energy stemming from people or the environment
Chakra: Root Chakra
Origin: Brazil, Africa and Pakistan
Birthstone month: October
What is black tourmaline?
Black tourmaline stone: Meaning and Properties - When and How Black Tourmaline Can Help.
Your thoughts are consistently negative
Your home, office or space feels unwelcoming and tense
After a particularly emotionally taxing time in your life
Practical Tips on How to Use Your Tourmaline Stone (Rituals, Meditation & Home)
Ritual for Protection
- At the beginning of your day, put on a piece of black tourmaline jewelry and choose a piece of raw black tourmaline. The wearable will remain with you and the chunk or shard will stay in the space where you perform this ritual.
- On a piece of paper, write three things that you’ve committed to protecting yourself from or which you’ like to cleanse. Some examples could include, the negative influence of someone, an emotional loop you’re stuck in or a troubling memory.
- Next, write down three concrete and actionable ways of how you’re going to either confront and banish these things from your life.
- Read over these notes several times and place this paper underneath the stone.
- Revisit your strategy periodically around your tourmaline altar as needed. In time, the combination of your will and the stone’s protection will cleanse and safeguard you from the negative energy.
Meditation for Relaxation
- Select one or two pieces of black tourmaline and place them in the palm of your hand(s).
- Close your eyes, and imagine the black color of the stone washing over your body and thoughts.
- Slowly breath inwards and outwards while remaining in this space
- The dark represents clarity and safety in this space. There’s nothing to fear as you’re the light in this dark.
- Allow any worries or troubling thoughts to come and go. As soon as they come, acknowledge them and let them pass by.
- This is a carefree moment. Everything else will be dealt with in due time.
- Remain in this headspace and let your worries and concerns brush by and leave the space.
- When you’ve felt your heartbeat slow and your muscles relax, picture the black color shrinking slowly and eventually setting at the base of the spine. This is the location of the root chakra.
- Slowly open your eyes and remember that at any point you can return to this space (even for a short while) for some time to yourself, free of worry, and stress.
Cleansing and protecting your space
How to care for your tourmaline stone
It’s important to be delicate with black tourmaline as it can be quite brittle. It’s recommended to keep the stone separate from harder gems in your collection. Also, the reflective surface and step-like structure of the crystals tends to gather dust so it’s a good idea to keep your stone covered when not using it. When it does gather dust a gentle wipe or swipe with the vacuum brush will do the trick. You can also soak your black tourmaline in water if needed.
Charging your tourmaline can be as simple as placing it on a selenite charging plate or leaving it out in the moonlight for several hours. You can also charge the stone by burying it for 24 hours. Make sure to use a cloth bag or other natural covering to ensure dirt does not get into the cracks and crevices of the crystal.
Cleanse your stone with a sacred herb you like, placing it in moonlight, laying it on selenite, or another method of your choosing. As tourmaline is primarily used for drawing out negative energy and alleviating a chaotic headspace, the stone benefits from cleansing more than most other gems.
Black tourmaline is an excellent stone for calming the mind as well as protecting your spirit and place. There’s a reason it’s an essential tool in the arsenals of countless energy practitioners around the world. Use the stone to clear and repel negative energy for a less chaotic life and one richer with positivity and light. Use it to nurture your root chakra so it can help reinforce and stabilize you so that you can tackle even the fiercest of challenges and tests that life puts you through.
For more useful resources check out our partner, My Essential Planet.
Disclaimer: Please consult a healthcare professional for any medical advice. The information in this article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or condition.